Visit chemistry-related industries
Teaching and Learning in university
Visit Kyunghee University
Class in university
Dining with Professor Cho of Hanyang University Korea
The Department of Chemistry has set up an annual program to nominate and arrange for a limited number of outstanding undergraduate students to conduct summer research at the Department of Chemistry at Imperial College London from July to August. The students will obtain financial support under the Faculty’s Overseas Research Fellowship, and possibly additional support from the Department. The students will also be admitted to an intensive training to prepare them for doing research abroad.
Up to 3 students will be accepted to the program in the summer of 2020. Students will be selected based on their grades in chemistry courses, the number of chemistry courses taken, and their motivation to do independent research, through an application and an interview.
Details on the application will be announced later. Stay tuned!
From June 30 to 6 August, 2020 (six weeks), a number of our chemistry major students will be selected to go to Korea University to study 3 academic courses each, which may be credited for courses at HKU.
Korea University is ranked second among the comprehensive universities in Korea. Students will live on campus in the dormitories. Every weekend students also have chances to participate in cultural events. Studying along are students and teachers from all over the world, not only Korea.
The Faculty Experiential Learning Fund will support each student’s partial expenses. Korea University will award additional scholarships to those students who achieved excellent grades in their courses.
The objectives of this program are:
- To study science and/or broadening courses in an international setting
- To reflect upon a different culture and compare it with our own situation in Hong Kong, and to reflect on our personal growth
- To observe and reflect upon the growth of science-related industries in Korea; and/or the landscape of science education in Korea
- Three six-credit academic courses that may be obtained for credit at HKU
- Participate in Korean cultural activities
- Keep a personal reflection journal
- Attend briefing on Korean history and culture
- Field trip to visit universities and/or Korean industries (tentative)
More details will be announced later, stay tuned!
For a summary of the 2018 Chemistry Majors Study trip at Korea University International Summer Campus experience, please see this link.
The Department of Chemistry has established an agreement for an undergraduate student exchange programme with Department of Chemistry of National University of Singapore (NUS) to provide students doing chemistry major or intensive chemistry major with opportunities to do exchange study for a semester or a year at Department of Chemistry at NUS.
For more information, please visit this link.
This professional development programme was held from Oct 14 to Oct 19, 2018. The aim of this programme was to observe and explore chemistry-related careers through workshops and industry visits organized by Newcastle University. The programme was arranged and designed by our host at Newcastle University, Dr. Andrew Pike.
Newcastle University was ranked 20th in the world in the Times Higher Education Golden Age University Rankings 2018. Newcastle University achieved the best possible Gold Award in the Teaching Excellence Framework.
Newcastle University Chemistry program puts emphasis on professional development for students throughout their years of university studies. It has long‐standing relationships with a range of regional, national and international businesses, including Nissan, Siemens, Procter and Gamble, GSK and Northumbrian Water. The University understands that it is not just about students gaining an excellent degree but that they learn the 'soft' skills they will need to start their journey into the world of work.
- Opportunities to engage with Newcastle University professors, teachers and students
- Getting to know Newcastle University and their teaching
- Programs related to making presentations and writing
- Visits to some chemistry-related industries or companies that hire chemistry majors
- Learn about UK history and sites
- Reflections and writing to know yourself better
- Improve in English communication