Career prospects of our Chemistry graduates
Our Chemistry graduates are well-equipped with the necessary skills and knowledge to work in different careers. They have an excellent record in gaining local employment. Many of our top graduates have selected to continue their postgraduate studies here in HKU or in other prestigious universities overseas in chemistry or other disciplines such as pharmacology, medical science or materials science. Some graduates are working as professional chemists in Government and commercial laboratories. Some take up jobs related to teaching, technical marketing and the operation of an industrial plant; whereas others make use of the rigorous training in critical thinking and problem-solving in the Chemistry curriculum to branch out into other areas such as the business and public sectors for their careers.
The curriculum can help students to:
- Take up various positions, e.g. as a researcher, in industrial quality control, in environmental assessment, in teaching,
patent law, in business, and in medicine and health care, etc;
- Lay a solid foundation for other related science subjects, e.g. biology, food and nutritional sciences, physics, biochemistry,
ecology, environmental science, earth sciences, sport sciences, etc;
- Develop an analytical mind, logical thinking, organizational skills;
- Understand the science involved in other areas of inquiries, intersecting with economics, political and health issues; and
- Apply scientific knowledge and skills in real life situations.